ABOVE: Professor Schumacher to his son Ernst Friedrich Schumacher on August 11, 1950 expressing his good wishes for his son's family, health, and work on the occasion of his birthday, and hopes that his work will bring him back to Germany.
The E. F. Schumacher Archives
E. F. Schumacher's archives consist of manuscripts, articles, memorabilia, and lecture and background notes, which can be viewed at the Schumacher Center Library.
Schumacher’s archives were professionally organized by his daughter Barbara Wood, author of E. F. Schumacher: His Life and Thought (NY: Harper & Row, 1984). They include articles written by Schumacher himself, as well as copies of Small Is Beautiful in many languages, documentary film productions about him, his lecture and background notes, and his awards, medals, and photographs. The collection has been computer-indexed and will be scanned and made available to scholars online in the future.
Before You Begin Searching the Archives...
1. Please note that both the E. F. Schumacher Archives and the Local Currency Archives are currently cataloged on the Schumacher Center Archives database. Use the search term "E. F. Schumacher Archives" or "Local Currency Archives" to isolate and search the individual archive collections.
2. Refer to the Selected Keyword Index for sample search terms. Please note that while the Selected Keyword Index contains most of the documents’ descriptors, some keywords are not listed; nonetheless, you should be able to access any document through one of its multiple keywords.
3. Understand variations in our labeling system. The documents in the Schumacher Center Archives are cataloged using a unique labeling system which corresponds to the physical location of documents in the library. As such, you may ignore the location unless you intend to visit the Library and view the documents in person.
4. Access documents. In recognition of the uniqueness of the contents of E. F. Schumacher’s personal archives, we are in the process of uploading each individual document online to provide researchers pdf-format access. Until the completion of the project, documents are only available in their summary form.
5. How to isolate and search the archives: To isolate and search the Archives, use the keywords "E. F. Schumacher Archives".
Please note that...
Many of E. F. Schumacher's essays and articles were published in popular economic journals, such as Resurgence, and can be searched on the Schumacher Center Library Catalog using the key term "P. SCHUM AUTH".